The Woodberry Harrier 2017: Volume 6

Just Do It 


A week before my final cross country race ever, I have learned more about myself in this sport than I could’ve ever imagined. What started as an afternoon activity in 7th grade because I couldn’t kick a soccer ball turned into one of the defining aspects of my high school career. But it hasn’t just been success or PR’s that revealed who I am as a person. Cracking when the stakes were highest told me just as much about myself. This sport is tough because the accolades are always nice to look back on, but it’s losing the big race that leaves the biggest mark. Through it all, I’ve learned not only what makes a good runner but how to be a better person. But in my mind it all boils down to courage.



Facing Mormont will scare some of the bravest people. But before doing it, I had no reason to be scared––I thought I had done it all. However, I clearly hadn't because after finishing the third rep, I crashed into a bank hyperventilating and hysterically crying. I had never resented a moment, a place, a hill, or a sport more than when running it last year. With every step I took my legs burned more and more, the hill only got steeper, and my self doubt soared. I was broken down. After finishing, Parker Jacobs told me in a short year I’ll be running up it three more times. The thought frightened me, so I buried it for as long as I could. But the time came this year, and looking up at it again scared me infinitely more. All I could think about was my failures from the time before. But by the time the third one came around I decided I was going to do something I didn’t have the guts to do last year. I started sprinting. In what should’ve been my moment of greatest doubt and fear, I decided a glorified hill wasn’t going to knock me on my ass again. I thought back to some of my greatest moments of runner, and in none did I do something heroic by being comfortable. I thought of my freshman year when I almost went out in a PR through the mile and then went on to smash my 5k PR by 40 seconds. I thought of running the wrong way at the finish line in eighth grade, but then turning back around and passing two runners to get the last all conference spot. In the moment, deciding to sprint wasn’t as much thinking as it was doing. I carried this just do it mentality all the way to the top and negative split my previous rep by 15 seconds. I finished with a swagger because I was on top––literally––and had this great view to soak in with dry eyes this time.



My final cross country season hasn’t been spectacular. I’ve had setbacks along the way, but none enough to make me roll over. I don’t want to look back on my final race and see that I just coasted it in the whole way. I’ve ran too many miles, too many races, and too many reps up Mormont to let all I’ve learned escape me. With the state meet impending, I hope we all find enough courage to surprise even ourselves. But no matter the outcome, I’m thankful for all that have made my running career as great as it’s been, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.


- Edward Lindner ' 18



Last Friday we journeyed to Fork Union for the 2017 Prep League Championships, and we had a rough day down there.  We weren’t at our very best going in (with Henry Singleton out with a torn labrum, and Parker having been out for a week with cellulitis in his leg). My old coach used to say he was feeling snakebit on weeks like this. But bad luck aside, we didn’t execute our strategy very well, and that put us at an even worse disadvantage.  Our packs got separated, and we weren’t where we needed to be when the moment of truth came. 

Prep League Championships
Fork Union, VA
 3 November, 2017
3rd out of 6 teams
1-5   spread: 2:00
Place out of 72
Time
Fletcher
5th
17:26
All Prep Honors
Rich
7th
17:38
All Prep Honors
Clark
12th
17:58
All Prep Honors; tied his course PR
Watt
23rd
18:44

Lindner
31st
19:26
Season course PR
Sompayrac
37th
19:57

Dearborn
48th
20:38
Season course PR
Wall
50th
20:45

McKay
60th
22:15



Tomorrow at 2:30 we run in the VISAA State Championship Meet here.  We hope to see some of you on the course.  Wish us luck.

Comments

Popular Posts