The Woodberry Harrier 20117: Volume 5

The Right Decision

Cross Country has been an unforgettable experience for me. For my first two years at Woodberry, I played football in the fall and ran track in the winter and spring. But going into my junior year, I wanted to have a better track season, so I decided to run cross country. However, this eventually became so much more than just a training season. I have gained strength, new friends, and character. 

My career on the team didn’t begin so well, though. That first summer I developed a case of plantar fasciitis, so I didn’t do many summer miles.  When I got back to school and started training without much base, I developed tendinitis and quickly became frustrated because I felt separated from the team.  Coach Hale helped me stay with it, and finally I was able to train with everyone again.   

Injuries aside, I wasn’t really pleased with my efforts that first season.  I didn’t fully commit the way the team wanted me to.  As a result, I didn’t gain the friendships the team is known for, and my times weren’t very good either; however, I learned something from that season.  I learned what not to do.

This past summer I trained harder than I had in the past, and as a result, this season has been a lot better. I have made new friends (like Riley, Henry, and Ryan) and I have strengthened my old friendships with Guy, Jackson, Trace, Edward, Spencer, Parker and William.

Cross country has also been a release from the madness of Woodberry. Whenever I have a hard test or a stacked-up class day, I look forward to being with the team and running outside.  I was surprised by this at first because last year I dreaded it every day.  I think this shows how my relationship with the sport has evolved.

I cannot be thankful enough for having decided to join this team.

Ellis McKay ‘18


Last week we hosted Fork Union here for our traditional end-of-season dual, and once again we were not at full strength.  Still, we had some impressive performances.  Here are those results:


Fork Union Dual
Woodberry Upper Course
 20 Oct, 2017
2nd out of 2 Teams
1-5   spread: 2:16
Place out of 30
Time
Fletcher
1st
17:26
Course PR
Rich
4th
18:05

Watt
5th
18:28

Daniels
9th
19:25
Course  PR
Lindner
10th
19:42

Wall
14th
20:35
Course PR
Dearborn
17th
21:24
21 sec. season PR
Richard
DNF


Sompayrac
DNR


Singleton
DNR


Clark
DNR


McKay
DNR




We used the fall break to rest and rehab, and we now have all but one back in the workouts.  Tomorrow we head to Moormont, and next week we get ready for the Prep league Championships next Friday at Fork Union (gun at 2:30).





Comments

Popular Posts