The Woodberry Harrier 2017: Volume 3

Cross Country Brain

I’m not a very quick thinker. In fact, I am a remarkably methodical one.  This fact is echoed in my every endeavor.  Sometimes people try to engage me in conversation, and, while most people can respond in a sensible string of words, my mind manufactures fragments and noises––placeholders until I can think of what I really want to say. I used to play lacrosse, a sport unmistakably fast-paced, requiring of its players a refined ability to be quick on their feet, both physically and mentally. Whenever I stepped onto the field, I felt a gnawing anxiety that I might, by some horrible miracle, find the ball in my stick and have to figure out what to do with it.  No matter how much film I watched or how hard I practiced in drills, I could never overcome my fear of what might happen.  But then, really by chance, I started running cross country, a sport that welcomed my slow mind with open arms.

And since then, cross country has simultaneously become the most difficult and yet the most therapeutic thing I do with no exceptions (athletic, academic, social, or anything else). That same anxiety that crippled me in lacrosse still exists until I learn the exact workout for the day, but once I know my task, I feel at peace.  Yes, that task almost always involves burning legs and a general feeling of weakness in my whole body, but I know I can deal with that feeling.  During the workout, I’m doing just that--and nothing else.   On a daily basis, I feel the greatest physical pain at cross country practice, yet it’s there that I am most calm, present, and comfortable.

Cross country is inescapable, like a mental prison for which Mr. Hale is the warden.  In my mind, I never leave it—yet in this prison I am grounded in the world, not isolated from it.  It forces me to constantly keep myself in-check and on high alert.  Every second of every day, at least a fraction of my mind on cross country.  I might be sitting in Mr. Holmes’ Stats class, when suddenly my cross country brain forces me to pick up my water bottle and take a swig. “You’ll be glad you did that in about three hours, when you’re running laps around the track,” it tells me. At lunch I might feel an urge to reach for the onion rings, but my cross country brain pushes me on to the sandwich bar.   The cross country brain takes no breaks, and it won’t let me take one either.

Maybe the anchor metaphor is a cliché, but that just means it makes sense to a lot of people.   Cross country is my anchor.  I may never be one of the top seven, but that doesn’t lessen the tremendous impact it has on me.  This team keeps me from drifting away on the current of unhealthy habits.  And just being down there every day pushing my body to the limit, is, believe it or not, relaxing.  

Spencer Dearborn ‘18

Last weekend we ran in the big and competitive Fork Union Invitational, and we acquitted ourselves well.   Here are those results:

Fork Union Invitational
Fork Union, VA
 23 Sept, 2017
4th out of 19 teams
1-5   spread: 1:25
1-7 spread: 2:36
Place out of 137
Time
Fletcher
11th
17:05
37 sec. season PR; 19 sec. course PR
Watt
21st
17:28
18 sec. ALL TIME PR
Rich
24th
17:33
29 sec. season PR; course PR tie
Clark
52nd
18:17
11 sec. season PR
Daniels
61st
18:30
1:14 ALL TIME PR
Singleton
74th
18:41
1 sec. season PR
Sompayrac
108th
19:41
21 sec. season PR

out of
239


Lindner
62nd
20:40
1st race of the season after Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever!
Richard
64th
20:41
1 sec. season PR
Dearborn
73rd
20:56
13 sec. season PR
Wall
DNR


McKay
DNR



Tomorrow we host St. Christopher's here at 3:00 PM on the Lower Course, which begins and ends by the track.



Comments

Popular Posts