The Woodberry Harrier 2015: Volume 3

…there is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so -- Hamlet

RUNNNNN! TURN YOUR LEGS OVER! KEEP YOUR FORM! These phrases are all too familiar to the average cross country runner.  These are the chants that pushed me away last year and have me coming back for more this year.  I had absolutely no idea what to expect coming into cross country for the first time my junior fall.  I used to call myself a soccer player, but I didn’t envision any playing time in my future on varsity, so after I got a taste of running from a season of indoor track, I made the switch to cross country.  By about two weeks into that first season, I already decided that this sport was not for me.  An overpowering anxiety crushed down on me before races, and I felt sorry for myself.  I told myself that all I had to do was finish the season. Then it would all be over, and I could move on with my life.
.
Once I finally made it to the end, I had gained a tremendous new respect for the sport, but I still had no intention to run again… not until Mr. Hale helped me make one of the best decisions of my life.

He taught me to not run away from problems but rather to fix them. I learned that simply changing your mindset toward something can make a world of difference.  This year I actually look forward to meets because I look at them positively.  And being positive doesn't just make cross country better; it makes everything better! Nothing is inherently good or bad - it just is. What makes it good or bad is our mindset toward it. When I was a kid, my mom always told me that happiness is a choice, but I never fully understood what that meant until I experienced it through running.
.
As we were jogging the cool down run after the relay race under the stars in the fresh Virginian September air, I felt a warm feeling of contentment. I finally understood the simple, natural beauty of our sport that everybody always talked about, but that I could never comprehend until that night, in the presence of my favorite people.

Thanks to Mr. Hale for not giving up on me.  Thanks to the whole team for being the hardest working, most reliable, and happiest group of guys at this school and giving each other memories that we’ll carry to death.

--David Gussler ‘16

My apologies for the over-long silence.  Our season was somewhat interrupted after the Woodberry Invitational, and I’ve had to travel out of the state the last two weekends.  It's been a very disjointed time.

Indeed, it feels a bit as if we recently awoke in the last third of the season wondering how on earth we got here.   We took a break from the 5K after the WFS Invitational to race in the RVA Relays in Richmond:

RVA Relays (2500 M)
Pole Green Park
Richmond, VA
 26 September, 20015
11th out of 17 teams
Runner
Place
Time

Singleton
7th out of 260
7:17

Carrington
53rd
7:43

Jacobs
80th
7:52

Rich
95th
7:58

Tydings
129th
8:07

Gussler
139th
8:10

Hernandez
139th
8:10

Kacur
202nd
8:39

Wall
209th
8:43

Daphnis
229
8:55

Duke
9th grade race
8:55

Pittman
DNR



This seemed like a fine idea until our meet against St. Christopher’s and Trinity was rained out the next weekend, leaving us with an unfortunate three-week stretch with no real race.   We were, therefore, a little rusty when we took to the starting line at Albemarle:


Albemarle Invitational
Panorama Farm
Earlysville, VA
 10 October, 20015
20th out of 33 teams
1-5 Split 2:20
Runner
Place
Time

Singleton
22nd out of 248
16:51
a second under ‘14
Carrington
39th
17:11
a lifetime PR
Jacobs
111th
18:10
a lifetime PR
Hernandez
171st
19:05
a season PR
Tydings
181st
19:11

Kacur
203rd
19:39
a season PR
Gussler
211th
19:50
a season PR
Pittman
212th
19:51
a 2:22 PR!!!

JV Race


Duke
107th out of 319
20:00
a season PR
Wall
DNR


Daphnis
DNR


Rich
DNR



Still we ran respectably and went home with some nice PR’s.

And this past Friday we ran our annual dual meet with Fork Union.  It was a picture-perfect day for the meet, and Fork Union brought a squad eager to run well.  We gave each other a good race all the way to the line.
WFS vs. Fork Union
Woodberry Forest Upper Course
 16 October, 20015
                                                  FUMA: 27, WFS: 28
1-5 Split: 1:57
Runner
Place
Time

Singleton
2nd out of 20
17:28
25-sec. under his Invitational time
Carrington
4th
17:58
a WFS course PR
Rich
5th
18:27
tied his ’14 course PR
Jacobs
7th
18:52
a WFS course PR
Tydings
10th
19:25

Hernandez
11th
19:29
42-sec under his Invitational time
Kacur
12th
19:55
1:22 under his Invitational time!!
Gussler
14th
20:14
28-sec under his Invitational time
Pittman
15th
20:34
1:39 under his Invitational time!!
Wall
16th
21:45

Daphnis
17th
21:48


JV Race


Duke
1st out of
20:41
1:30 under his Invitational time


Even with the promising times, we didn’t race our best as a team, but we took away some very valuable lessons.  This coming weekend we head to Alexandria for our annual dual against EHS.  It looks as if their squad matches ours very well, so it should be another exciting meet.

Comments

Popular Posts